Serendipity webinar overview, PLN – getting started?

Introduction

Apologies everyone – I did it again this week ie was late starting the recording. I think I may have to resort back to my strategy from before the days of the Elluminate recording reminder and have a post-it on my screen.

However I did eventually start the recording and so as always here is the recording link for the session – please let me know if you access the recording. Because I was late starting the recording the topics and poll are not captured here are the topics

Topics 29 4 11D – “Building a Professional Learning Network – where to begin” topped the poll.

The Session

We started with a whiteboard brainstorm with everyone sharing their ideas about how they had begun themselves or where they might suggest others start. The discussion was further developed in text and audio with people expanding on the points made on the whiteboard.  The focus of the discussion was mainly around Twitter but with reference to other PLN starting points such as online seminars and face-to-face conferences. There was also reference to the use of hubs such as iGoogle from an individual perspective and the increasing number of website hubs being called “PLN”s that are often focussed on being a meeting point for a particular educator group.

PLNstartResize
We then moved on to talk about a question raised by one of our group who is fairly new to Twitter, namely how to get people to follow you when you are new. This gave rise to a wide selection of suggestions on the whiteboard, in text and through audio.

We briefly revisited the map to capture the whereabouts of those who had joined after we had moved on from that point. Finally we moved on to think briefly about our “Takeaways” from the session.

Conclusion

This was a really interesting session – PLN is a topic that often surfaces in different guises and it never fails to generate lots of discussion, provide many new ideas, and deliver much learning!

Our Next Session

FineFocusSmallOur next Webinar is an Edublogs “Fine Focus” session. This week in “Who’s that on my blog?” we discuss whether it matters to know about your blog visitors and take look at a few of the options available for seeing information about visitors to your blog. Join us on Thursday May 5th at 23:00 GMT/UTC the time for you will vary depending on your timezone (check yours here) Thursday afternoon/evening in the USA, late night Thursday in Europe, and Friday morning in Australia – in the usual Elluminate room